Siblings and spending time with family
Many of you will be beginning your summer break from school at this time of year, some of you may not have been able to spend much time at school recently and others may have been off for weeks! We know from siblings that although it can be good to have a break from the school routine, things may also be a bit tricky too. This might be because
- brothers and sisters find it hard when their routine changes
- parents may not have the time to do fun things
- it feels as though everybody else is spending their summer doing exciting things except you
This can feel quite hard but there are things you can do which might help, including spending time with different family members who you may not see as often. Is there
- a grandparent who you don’t see much during term time?
- an aunt, uncle or cousin who lives close by but who you can’t visit much?
- an older brother, sister or cousin who is back from college for the summer?
Spending time with people apart from your close family can be really helpful. You can have someone new to talk to or someone who might be able to do fun stuff with you like baking or playing board games . Just spending time in a different house or flat can feel like a break too!
Ask a parent if they can help you to arrange to meet up with other family members, even if it is only for an hour or two throughout the summer break. Even if you can’t meet up in person, maybe you can play a game on Zoom or write a letter or a postcard? We’d love to hear how you are spending your summer break at home so do get in touch and let us know!