Adult sibling day 2022
Feel more confident, informed and inspired as a sibling. Meet others who just 'get' what sibling life is like. Don't miss our biggest virtual event of the year!
On Friday 4th February
Express your creativity in an online Clay and Cava workshop with Artpod . All materials (and Cava!) will be sent to you ahead of the session. Starts 7pm, duration 90-120 minutes. (Now fully booked)
Explore laughter and play in an online laughter yoga workshop by This Moment Matters. Starts 8pm, duration 45 mins More info here.
Then, join Sibs on Zoom afterwards in the virtual bar at 9pm! Bring your favourite drink and wind down with other siblings.
(If you cant attend the workshop, but would like to join us in the virtual bar at 9pm, please email email@example.com for the Zoom link)
On Saturday 5th February
Our varied line-up for the day includes a whole host of online sessions between 8am – 2.30pm:
- 8am: A breakfast catch up! The chance to meet and get to know other adult siblings who have disabled brothers and sisters
- 9.15am: Hear the legendary author and founder of Siblings Australia, Kate Strohm, talk about her unmissable book “Siblings: Brothers and sisters of children with disability”
- 11.15am: Tech wizard Ray will share accessibility features on apple/android that you never knew but are so useful
- 12pm: Sibling researchers Dr Nikita Hayden and Professor Richard Hastings (University of Warwick) share further findings from the Adult Sibling Survey and invite siblings to get involved with a mindfulness and sibling carer project
- 1pm: Solicitor and Sibs Trustee Carol McBride will outline the key mental capacity, legal and financial issues that siblings need to understand when supporting their brother or sister
Who can sign up?
To join our adult sibling day you must be:
- Be aged 18 or over
- Currently live in the UK
- Have (or had) a brother or sister who has a lifelong disability*
*Types of lifelong disabilities might include spina bifida, cerebral palsy, mild/moderate/severe or profound and multiple learning disabilities, Down Syndrome, Williams Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Rett Syndrome, Dravet syndrome, Apert Syndrome, a Syndrome Without A Name (SWAN), genetic disorders, Cri du Chat Syndrome, Fragile X syndrome, Tuberous Sclerosis, a life-limiting condition and any other lifelong physical or learning disability from birth or early infancy.
Who can’t attend?
This event is just for adult siblings of someone with a lifelong disability from birth or early infancy. A sibling-only environment helps siblings to feel comfortable sharing their experiences with others who truly understand. No parents, partners, brothers/sisters, researchers or professionals will be admitted.
So that siblings can feel safe to share their experiences and ask questions, we will not be recording this event.
How much does it cost?
Friday (evening) – £10
Saturday (daytime) – £20
This event is heavily subsidised by Sibs, so that we can offer a low ticket cost to siblings.
We can offer funded places for anyone in financial difficulty – just let us know.
I’ve got questions…
You’re welcome to get in touch with any queries, big or small.
Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to chat with you.
Adult sibling day 2022